Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2011

I wish that I could fly!

    Despite the fact that I am thirty years old, I enjoy reading novels that are in the Young Adult genre.  Aside from being fun and are easy to read, they center around topics that were once important in our lives.  Love, revenge, and hopes of becoming rich and successful are usually present in some form or another.
    James Patterson is the author of one such series known as the “Maximum Ride” series.  The books center around a group of kids who were created with a small percentage of avian DNA grafted into their human DNA.   The outcome: they have great big wings!  Yes, wings.  It seems silly if you think of it from an adult standpoint, but if you step back and look at it with an imagination that isn’t tainted by society, you’d see that it is something that each of us has most likely wanted to do.  FLY.
    The group is thrown into some very adult situations.  They have to escape from a group of scientists who want them back in the “school,” which is basically a laboratory where the scientists continue to experiment on innocent children.
    Countless thrills ensue throughout the entire series.  The kids get into fights with adults and beat them senseless most of the time.  They are charged with saving the world from the damage that we have all inflicted upon it.  Greatest of all, they are passionate about there own small race of humans, and protect each other as a family should.
    When I was younger, I always wanted to be able to fly.  I used to wish that I could turn into a bird, even if it was only for a day, so that I could fly as high as possible, swoop through trees, and live life with no worries and the ability to look at earth from high up with no interruptions of any kind.  I think that is one reason why I really liked this series.
    Another thing that I really liked about this book was that the chapters are anywhere from one page to seven or so pages.  Each chapter centers around a different topic or conflict.  It makes for a really exciting read and makes you not want to put the book down until you have finished reading it.  I don’t know about anyone else, but I am guilty of not being able to put a novel down on a regular basis.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard about this series but it sounds like something I woulda loved. You're right, EVERYONE wants to fly at some point or another. Did you ever see the movie 'The Boy Who Could Fly'? I used to watch it over and over again when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie sent me over, and I'm now your newest follower.

    Nice ta meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matthew. Welcome to the ramblings of a mad doctor!
    Katie- yes, I have seen that movie many times. The end was always the best for me. He is misunderstood, creepy, and just completely out of it socially. In the end, he suddenly becomes aware of those around him and loses his social awkwardness long enough to fly around with the girl he is crushing on.
    You should looked into the Maximum Ride series. They've been around long enough so that you can get most of them in paperback pretty cheap. The first one is called "The Angel Experiment," not to be confused with the latest one called "Angel."

    ReplyDelete